Thursday, March 10, 2011

Week of Beauty -- Color -- Part 3

Note: I am not affiliated in any way with Mary Kay Cosmetics, Bobbi Brown Cosmetics or Maybelline, nor is this a paid advertisement.

In previous posts, Part 1 we discussed the importance of proper skin care and Part 2 the list of tools you will need for make-up application. Today I'm going to talk just a little about color. I'm not going to go into different looks and how to apply them, as I stated yesterday, you really need to get with a representive of one of the make-up companies of your choice, schedule a make-over (they are usually free) and they can help you out when choosing your look and what colors look best on you.

I just want to give you a list of possiblities and highlight items that I personally use and like. To start with, foundation...I have almost always used Mary Kay foundations because I can try them, and if the color is wrong, I can exchange it for one that does. Keep in mind that your color will probably change during the seasons, I tend to use one color for summer and another color for the rest of the year. The range of options for what type of foundations can be a little overwhelming (another reason it's good to go to someone who can steer you in the right direction)...there are moisturizers with added color if you like a really natural look, medium-coverage foundations, full-coverage foundations, powder foundations and sheer foundations. Different brands also make them for either dry/normal skin and normal/oily skin types (this is a huge help).

Mary Kay Luminous Wear Foundation

If you choose to wear eyeshadows, your choices are almost unlimited. Most companies offer a huge range of colors and even sets that go well together, taking a lot of the guess work out it for you. What I can tell you about color is that the most important part about choosing them, is first determining whether you are a "cool" or a "warm", meaning do cool colors look best on you or warm? If you've never had a make-over, look to your wardrobe, do you tend to gravitate more towards the pink family, or the yellow/orange? If you wear a lot of black, tan, navy...these are considered neutral, which means no matter what you choose to wear on your face, you're not going to clash. You could of course choose to go neutral in your selection of eye colors, white, taupe, grey, charcoal, navy...these are all neutrals and go well with just about everyone.

When choosing your eye colors, you'll want to probably plan on a very light base color (apply all over the eyelid), a contour color (usually in the crease, extending from the outside corner, up towards the inside of your eyebrow), and an accent color (usually a darker or brighter color that will go along your lashline and /or the outside corner of your lid.) And here I said I wasn't going to get into teaching application, it's just so hard to do in writing, much, much easier in person!


Mary Kay Minerals Eye Colors

Cheek colors "blush" are great for helping to accentuate your cheek bones or just to add a bit of color to the apples of your cheeks. There are actually many different ways to apply blush, get with someone who knows and you'll really learn a lot.

Bobbi Brown Blush


You're last step should always be adding mascara, if you choose to wear it, it really "opens" and "brightens" your eyes and finishes your look. Again, the nearly unlimited options can be daunting...waterproof, adding volume, lengthening.....it goes on and on. All I can tell is you is that I will personally try one and if I'm not jumping for joy, I'll still use it for 3 months then throw it away and try something new, till I find what I like...I'll use that until something new comes along and I'll give it a try, if I like it better than what was using, then I'll keep using it, if not, then back to my ole fav I go! (It's important to always throw away mascara 3 months after it's been opened as each time you put the wand back in the tube, you are introducing bacteria that will grow, possibly causing eye infections at some point)
Right now, my personal fav is Maybelline's Colossal Volum Express Mascara...for me it adds tons of volume and thickness (my lashes are definitely changing/thinning as I get older).



Maybelline Colossal Volum Express Mascara

There are many many many more products out there...concealers, powders, brow liners, eye liners, lip liners,.....just too much to get into here, so I really just high-lighted what I tend to use most days.

Whatever colors or look you choose, you really should just have fun with it, and remember...
your goal is to enhance your natual God-given beauty!!!

What products do you personally use and love?

No comments: