Monday, March 7, 2011

A Week of Beauty -- Part 1

Note: I am not in any way affiliated with Mary Kay Products at this time, nor is this article a paid advertisement. It is my own personal opinion based on previous experience.

I thought it might be fun this week to talk about "Beauty", that is, the outside as opposed to the inside. You might ask "what qualifies" me? I've been involved in several different aspects of the Beauty business for the past 26 years, up until 3 years ago.

I started out as a hairstylist, colorist and nail technician and worked in a couple different local salons for a few years before starting my own. Over the years, I was trained in make-up artistry by a Bendel's representative...was the make-up artist for model's at several hair shows AND was a Mary Kay Cosmetics Consultant for 3 years. Having my own salon also afforded me the opportunity to offer my make-up application services to many, many bride's, bridesmaids, mother's of the bride's and girls going to the prom. Loved doing ALL those!

But I would have to say, my biggest teacher was my mother. She became a Mary Kay Consultant when I was around 13 years of age, the perfect time to teach a young girl about the importance of taking care of her skin. I would have to give Mom credit...teaching me to take care of my skin has to be in the top 10 of my all time most important lessons learned...Thanks MOM!!!!

One of the reasons taking care of your skin is sooooooo important, it is the surface you will apply your make-up to. If it is not properly prepared, there is not enough make-up in the world, nor high-priced brand that will make it look good. (Ever notice women with cake-y foundation or too much concealer giving them a yellow-ish look? They're probably trying to cover up what they never took proper care of in the first place).

Not taking care of your skin and properly preparing it for make-up would be similar to a painter, coming to paint your dining room walls, but doesn't take off the old wallpaper first. (ugh)


Like I said, Mom started me off right as a young teenager. As a Mary Kay Consultant, she taught me about the importance of starting my routine with the right cleanser for my skin type (which has always, always been dry), followed by the right moisturizer, and using a skin care mask to really clean things up 2x weekly.

Mary Kay's products have only improved over the years, trust me on this, I've tried nearly everything out there... every time something new comes on the market, yep, tried that. I'm not saying I don't come across good products, I do, but it'll work for a while, then I end up going back to my tried and true favs, which just happen to be Mary Kay Skin Care. They've changed, improved and added to their product line over the years, so I've gone from using the skincare for teenagers to now using their TOTALLY AWESOME TimeWise Miracle Set for it's incredible age-fighting results to help you maintain younger-looking skin. (I started using age-fighting products in my thirties and HIGHLY recommend it)

The Time Wise Miracle Set also has the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval!!!! HA, guess they know what they're talkin' about!

If you want your make-up to look good, you've got to have clean skin, well hydrated skin...the surface needs to be as smooth as you can get it, otherwise make-up will only highlight these problem areas. Do I use Mary Kay's make-up in addition to their skincare? You betcha! For the ease of application, staying ability, quality and the reasonable prices, I just don't believe it can be beat...although I do tend to try a lot of others out there, just to see if I can find something better.

If you want to try their products for yourself, you can order order online or you can find a consultant neat you. (I personally highly, HIGHLY recommend contacting a local consultant as she will work with you on finding the right products for your skin type AND give you a complete makeover FREE... you get to try before you buy AND they have a 100% money back guarantee, you can't lose by trying their products, so it's a WIN WIN situation all around).

If you have any questions, you are welcome to ask them in the "comments section" here, or email me at mybluepeaock3333@hotmail.com

No comments: