Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week of Beauty -- Hair Styling -- Part 5

Note: I am not affiliated in any way with Kenra Hair Care Products or Pureology Hair Care Products, nor is this a paid advertisement.

Here are a few fun facts about hair...

Lifespan of hair: 2 to 7 years

Humidity stretches hair

Combing is less detrimental than brushing

Male hair is denser than female hair (duh)

Split ends canNOT be repaired, they must be cut off (otherwise, the splits continue to travel the length of the hair shaft which weakens it, causing it to break off easily)

Next to bone marrow, hair is the fastest growing tissue in the human body

Forty percent of women by the time they reach menopause will have female pattern hair loss.

Hair grows at a rate of approximately 1/2 inch per month

Hair grows faster in warm weather

All these fun facts were taken from these great websites...

hairboutique.com
surviving-hairloss.com

Choosing the right styling products for your hair type needs, is easier when you understand what they are designed for. And most hair styling products on the market today list exactly what hair type they were designed for, but for best results and to save yourself some moolah by buying product that just doesn't work for you, I HIGHLY recommend discussing which products to use with your stylist, he/she will steer you in the right direction and most salons offered 100% money back guarantee, so if you take something home and just can't get it to work for you, they will replace it with something that will. Win Win!


The different hair types are: fine, coarse, normal...AND the denseness can be thick, thin or average. Your stylist will help you determine which combination you have. You'll also have to factor in if you have virgin hair (hair that has not been color-treated or had any chemical processes
used on it).

Here are just a few tips for what to look for...
If you have fine hair, you are going to want shampoos, conditioners and styling products that add volume and fullness.

If you have coarse hair, you are going to want products that add moisture and help smooth the hair shaft. Even if you have curly hair and want to keep the curls, you'll still need to smooth the hair shaft to avoid frizziness (smoothing products with silicone work great on this hair type)

If you have normal hair, you can use just about any combination of products depending on the style results you are looking for.

If you have color-treated hair you DEFINITELY need to be using products specifically for color-treated hair as the coloring process dries the hair shaft out,...if you want your color to last AND you want healthy looking hair, you must use a deep conditioner at least once a week, preferably twice, in addition to shampoo and conditioner developed especially for color-treated hair. (please forgive me if I'm repeating myself) It is EXTREMELY important to get moisture back into the hair shaft and keep it smoothed down.

There are way, way, way too many styling products on the market today, so I'm just going to talk about the specific ones that I use on myself, if you have questions about your hair type, I'd be happy to answer what I can with the information you give me, just email me at mybluepeacock3333@hotmail.com , but you're best help would be the person who cuts and/or colors your hair as they're the ones that get up close and personal and with their fingers in your hair.

Kenra Volume Mousse Extra 17

I mostly use Pureology Shampoos and Conditioners as I stated in yesterday's post, switching off once a week with Kenra's shampoo and condioner for fine hair, although I have a lot of hair, it is fine which makes it appear thin so I have to use products that help "plump" it up.

After towel drying (don't rub your wet hair harshly, just squeeze with your towel), I will usually apply either Kenra's Mousse or Styling Creme 10 both of which I mix with just a dab of Kenra's Silkening Gloss. The reason I add the gloss is to tame and smooth the ends, you can also use it on your skin to revitalize it.

I then apply Pureology's RootLifter directly to the roots of my wet hair in the crown area. I blow dry my hair using the medium heat setting (if you use the hottest setting you risk damaging your hair, not the end result I want) and my fingers, going in all four directions (think north, south,east and west) on every area of my head. When almost dry, I then use either a round brush or a flat, wide brush to help style. (using a brush before hair is almost dry is just wasted effort) When I feel it's dry, to add volume I hold my head upside down and use the cool setting on my dryer for just a minute.

I use hot rollers when I want tons of volume and curl, a straightening iron for when I want a more casual look, and sometimes just a couple of velcro rollers in the crown area for just a bit of extra volume.

To finish it, I'll use Kenra's Platinum Texturizing Taffy and Volume Hair Spray 25
I use the Taffy with my fingertips and just smooth it over the ends (kind of picking at the ends), I love that it doesn't get stiff, ...then finish it off with the hairspray.


So, here's my unsolicited advice...

Get with a good stylist (if you don't already have one), and have him/her help you figure out what hair type you have and what styling results you are going for.

Decide what hair products you want to use and follow the directions and your stylists advice (they will gladly teach you how to use your styling products).

Get your hair trimmed (at least 1/8" every 6 weeks if you are trying to let it grow, 1/2" every 4 weeks if you want to maintain your current style)

If you cover your gray...Ladies! paleeeeeeze keep those roots covered...(just my opinion, but roots that show are just sooooooooooo tacky)

I had planned to split this post up into 2 segments, but I got a little carried away and probably a little too wordy, and once I got started it was very hard to stop (in case you haven't noticed, I'm just a wee bit passionate about skin and hair care, BECAUSE "when you look good, you feel good").....so I think for the next post, I'll let you know about a few of my fav new skin care products I've just recently come across.

My hope is that some of this information is helpful to you, if not, I hope that it at least entertained you!!!!

My hope is that we all start taking care of ourselves first, so that we can then do a great job of taking care of everyone else!

No comments: